Mama Mia! The Myths and Truths about Italian Cuisine
Before Italy became synonymous with pasta and pizza, spaghetti might've first been served on Chinese tables. And tomatoes are, well, not native. Here are eight fun facts about la cucina Italiana.
I love carbohydrates. I have no trouble feasting on a plate of good ole lasagna or chicken parmesan, and cannoli is one of my favorite desserts. I especially enjoy scarfing down a margarita pizza any day of the week. Writing this article makes my mouth water.
I blame my love of Italian food on my Italian heritage. Like most people, I enjoy munching on spaghetti or tasting a new gelato flavor, but I didn't know the origins of my favorite Italian foods.
Let's bust some myths on this culture's fine delicacies.
Take the Quiz
Want to Learn More?
- "Tomato History: From Poison to Obsession" Planet Natural, Planet Natural Research Center, https://www.planetnatural.com/tomato-gardening-guru/history/. Accessed on 21 Aug, 2019.
- "The Meaning of Pasta Names" OxfordWords Blog, Oxford Dictionaries, 10 Oct, 2014. http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2014/10/butterflies-worms-linguistic-look-pasta-world-pasta-day/. Accessed on 5 Jul, 2019.
- Riel-Salvatore, Gabriel. "10 Fun Facts Related to Italian Food" Panoram Italia, Panoram Italia, 13 Feb, 2013. https://www.panoramitalia.com/en/blog/food-wine/february-13-celebrates-national-eat-italian-food-day/1451/. Accessed on 10 May, 2019.
- Box, Nonna. "You Think You Know the Italian Wedding Soup History? Think Again" Authentic Italian Recipes, Nonna Box, 8 Oct, 2016. https://www.nonnabox.com/italian-wedding-soup-history/. Accessed on 1 May, 2019.
- Turim, Gayle. "A Slice of History: Pizza Through the Ages" History.com, A&E Television Networks, 27 Jul, 2012. https://www.history.com/news/a-slice-of-history-pizza-through-the-ages. Accessed on 23 May, 2019.
- Instructables. "Pasta Sticking on Wall with Girl, Clip Art from Youtube Video" Youtube, Youtube.com, 28 Apr, 2008. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IpB3-5fIjY. Accessed on 14 Mar, 2019.